- 8 cups mixed greens
- A mixture of fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, Thai basil and parsley, torn a bit
- 1/2 cup halved sunburst tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 6 slices of bacon, reserve the rendered bacon fat
- 6 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Crumbled goat cheese, optional
This afternoon we enjoyed a delicious Sunday dinner with our dear Amanda and her family. This side salad was the accompaniment to our grilled pork chops and nectarines (grilled pork chops and nectarine recipe will be featured on TheBright.com this week).
I love beautiful Sunburst tomatoes. I also love using herbs in my salads. This salad included bacon, which will make my father happy. Dad loves bacon. I mean the man loves bacon!
My dad would eat bacon over all things. He thinks bacon is what makes the world go round.
I make a pie. He asks ‘Where’s the bacon?”
I make a cake. He asks, “Where’s the bacon?’
So Dad this one’s for you.
Cut your bacon into small pieces. Cook the bacon pieces in a nonstick pan over medium heat until crispy. Using a slotted spoon transfer your bacon to a plate lined with a couple of paper towels.
In a bowl combine 4 tablespoons of bacon fat, vinegar, honey, mustard, black pepper and salt. Whisk together.
this vinaigrette is delicious but quite tart so arrange your salad on each plate adorn just a drizzle of the bacon vinaigrette over the top.