- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon good vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons good rum
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
I know, I know. I just started P90X, almost killed myself, winded up at the doctor’s office, had two cat-scans done and am now making blondies! I was much happier before I stared exercising.
Me and blondies go way back. I enjoyed my first blondie in New York at my best friend’s house. Donna made the most delicious blondies. Her recipe came from her mother. I had never eaten a blond brownie before. Let me tell you, it was love at first bite. Yes, yes I said it and it was so true! Blondies are in a nutshell blond brownies. In place of granulated sugar is brown sugar which lends a lovely caramel flavor to the blondie.
Since my New York days (13 years ago) I’ve made several versions of blondies. Blond brownies are so adaptable which make the possibilities endless.
This evening I have been invited to my friend Carrie’s for dinner. Carrie is the owner of Blue Diamond Limousines and Sedans. Carrie recently went on a cruise in the Dominican Republic. How thrilled was I when Carrie returned with a big beautiful bottle of vanilla extract just for me! Hands down it is the best vanilla extract our family has ever tasted!
I have been invited to Carrie’s house for a Girl’s Dinner. I decided to surprise Carrie by making my blondies using the amazing vanilla she gave to me. This time I’ve used rum (how good is that going to be) and white chocolate with cashews.
WARNING! The aroma might kill you! It’s just THAT special!
You can use one or a combination of the following in your blondies:
- 1/2 chopped nuts (toasting nuts in a dry pan first makes for an even better flavor)
- 1/2 chocolate or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla extract (it’s very important to always use pure extracts)
- 2 tablespoons rum, bourbon, brandy or whiskey
- 2 tablespoons of espresso powder
1. Position your rack to the middle of the oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place your butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan.
3. Use your butter wrappers to grease your 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
TIP: This recipe may cut in half and baked in an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. BUT, I wouldn’t recommend it. You will wish you had made more!
4. In a medium bowl sift together, flour and baking powder. Stir in your kosher salt.
5. Stir nuts and white chocolate chips into your dry mixture. Stir to coat with flour. This will keep the nuts and chips suspended in your batter.Set aside.
6. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt together your butter and brown sugar, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, add your vanilla extract and rum.
7. Beat two eggs in a bowl. Add to your brown sugar mixture; stir well.
8. Pour your wet mixture into your dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
10. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the blondies to cool completely. Cut these beauties into 12 large or 24 smaller bars.
My son Alexander told me that of all the brownies and blondies I make these are his favorite! That makes me happy!