- 2 (4 ounce bars) of Ghiradelli semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons softened salted or unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon good qualify vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
I didn’t think it possible to love chocolate any more than I already did UNTIL I made this flourless chocolate cake. The edges of this amazingly wonderful cake are somewhat chewy and crispy and the center of the cake is light, moist and fudgy. I found the original recipe at MarthaStewart.com but substituted Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate in place of the dark chocolate Martha used. I also added a very good quality vanilla extract. I may even try it with almond extract next time and believe me, there WILL be a next time.
I think this would be the perfect dessert for any chocolate lover on Valentine’s Day! Don’t you agree?
- Place one of your racks in the center of your oven. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan well. Set it aside.
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a large heatproof glass bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds increments, stirring each time until the chocolate and butter have completely melted.
- Let it sit for a minute or two to cool down. Whisk in your six egg yolks. Look for the beautiful glossy color!
- In a large bowl or electric mixer beat your six egg whites with the wire attachment until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly beat in the granulated sugar until stiff peaks form again. Look for the pretty glossy color!
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in 1/4 of your mixture until you see no more white.
- Fold in remaining egg white mixture and fold until completely incorporated. See egg white folding video below: