- 6 eggs (2 per person)
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper (red is great, too)
- Slap Ya Mama, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
We love Saturday mornings. Who doesn’t enjoy sleeping in a bit and then a hearty breakfast gathered around the family table? We sometimes make omelets together. We love them.
Can it be possible to enhance an already delicious custard-like omelet filled with our favorite fillings like crispy bacon, green onion and cheddar omelet?
I say yes and I did so this morning!
You may remember that last year I created an ultimate inside-out grilled cheese sandwich with bacon for the Food Network blog the FN Dish. My family loved it!
It got me thinking. I bet my family would love an omelet with a crisp cheese crust, too. And boy did they ever. I think my hubby wanted to marry me all over again.
Of course it would have been a travesty had I not included a bit of cheese on the inside of the omelets as well. But adding a bit of grated cheese (and it really does come down to how much cheese you’d like) on the outside made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! This simple step took a Saturday morning staple to a whole other height entirely.
When adding cheese you might want to cut back on the salt or seasoning. The cheese will also add sodium to your omelet. We actually love seasoning our eggs with a little sprinkle of Slap Ya Mama.
- In a small skillet, add 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil. Toss in diced bacon. Saute until your bacon is nice and crispy. Remove form the pan and add diced green bell peppers and green onions. Remove from the pan.
- In a small bowl, beat 2 large eggs with a fork, seasoning with salt and pepper or Slap Ya Mama to taste. Bring a 10″ omelet pan to temperature over medium high heat.
- Lightly coat the pan with butter, then add your eggs. Give the pan a swirl to put excess liquid off to the sides and knock down the edges again. When the egg approaches custard consistency add a bit of your fillings and some cheese.
- Fold omelet over and add a generous amount of grated cheddar. Now gently turn the omelet over and let cook until the cheese browns slightly and crisps up.
- Slide onto your plate and enjoy!