- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 bunch scallions, ends cut off
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one lemon
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasonings mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Freshly ground black pepper
I decided since I was creating a special steakhouse meal for my family, I would try my hand at a grilled salad. With romaine lettuce, red onion and scallions in my refrigerator I had all I needed. On top of my salad I thought a nice buttermilk ranch dressing would go very well with the smoky grilled romaine. I was right!
TIPS FOR GRILLING LETTUCE
- Grill your lettuce over a fairly high heat.
- It is equally important that your lettuce is allowed to dry completely after being washed so that it does not steam when placed on the grill.
- Brush your vegetables with vegetable oil (you can also spray vegetables with non-stick cooking spray)
- Watch for grill marks to begin. Be careful not to overcook and wilt your lettuce.
1. Wash your lettuce well. Allow it to dry completely.
2. Brush lettuce and onions with a little olive oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Grill over high heat just until grill marks form.
4. Cut off the end of the lettuce and place each piece on a platter. top with grilled onions.
5. Make your dressing by combining mayonnaise, buttermilk, ground black pepper and two tablespoons of Good Seasons Ranch Dressing Mix.
6. Pour dressing over your lettuce and enjoy!