- FOR YOUR CHICKEN
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 to 5 thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- FOR YOUR SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Gourmet Garden ginger or 1/2-inch pieced minced
- 2 teaspoons Gourmet Garden garlic or 2 cloves minced
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1/4 soy sauce
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups canola oil
This recipe is very crunchy, full of warm spices and coated in a thick sticky honey glaze. How bad does that sound? Very bad…I know! But it was so very, very good!
Sift together flour, ginger, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne. Add thyme (crushing between your fingers to release the natural oils), nutmeg, salt, black pepper and sage.
In another bowl whisk together eggs and water.
Place the oil in a wok or a large skillet over medium high heat.
TIP: I like using thinly sliced chicken breasts because I know that by the time the outside is nicely browned the inside will be done as well.
Fry your chicken in two or three batches. Remove your crispy chicken onto a baking dish and place in a heated oven while you continue frying up the rest of your chicken. If using whole boneless chicken breasts. You never want to overcrowd a pan or wok when frying.
Pour most of the oil out of your wok, leaving about two tablespoons and add garlic and ginger. Stir fry for one minute. Add red pepper flakes, honey and say sauce. Be careful because the mixture will foam, so stir when needed. Cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes. Add your crunchy chciken adn toss to coat. You’re gonna kiss me!
We enjoyed this with steamed basmati rice!
Variation: For Orange Chicken, substitute half of the soy sauce for the zest and juice of one large orange!
From our hearts to yours,
Elise and fmaily