- 8 slices of cooked bacon
- 8 slices of your favorite white bread (we used a three cheese semolina artisan bread)
- Grated cheddar cheese (about 1/3 cup per sandwich or so)
- 4 tablespoons salted softened butter
Whew, what a week!
My youngest son fell ill, then I got the flu and all when my hubby was on a business trip to Serbia. I was happy he was away because I knew I couldn’t share it with him.
Unfortunately Mike returned with a very bad cold and cough.
Today’s ultimate comfort foods feast was befitting a man who had traveled across the world to get back home to his family and then got sick.
It is also week ten of the Food Network’s Comfort Foods Feast.
Grilled cheese is the star of this week’s comfort food feast and I have a plan. This is not going to be your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich. I promise. It is the ultimate grilled cheese!
Don’t you just love when cheese falls onto your griddle or pan when you are making things like quesadlillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, paninis and pizzas? If you’re like me, that never makes it onto anyone’s plate because you eat it up as you are cooking, right? Well, what could be a better topping for any sandwich then cheddar cheese itself? And what if it becomes a crispy crust?
I added a couple of slices of crispy bacon to everyone’s sandwich, too! Because bacon and cheddar makes everything better.
There’s a couple of things I’ve learned over the years about making grilled cheese sandwiches:
- Never use slices of American cheese — not a fan.
- Make sure your butter is softened before spreading it to your bread otherwise, you guessed it, your bread will tear.
- If your butter is cold, add it to your griddle instead and then place your bread on the griddle.
Just feast your eyes on this sandwich!
Here’s how I made it:
1. Heat up a griddle to medium high heat.
2. Spread 1/2 tablespoon or less of butter one side of each piece of bread.
3. Place the slice of bread on the griddle, add the cheese and the two pieces of bacon on top. Place your other piece of bread on top. Spread with your additional 1/2 tablespoon or so softened butter.
4. Immediately flip over the sandwich before the side browns too much.
5. Sprinkle a couple more tablespoons of grated cheddar on top, flip over and do the same to the other side, turning more than once if necessary until the cheese becomes a crispy crust.
6. Remove your sandwich, which is now calling you by name, from the griddle. Open wide and enjoy your bite of crispy cheesy crust on the outside, and oozy gooey cheese with crispy bacon on the inside!
I think you’re gonna kiss me! My family did…
Be sure to check out my other friends most favorite recipes for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. Oh, and be sure to serve this up with my turkey minestrone soup sometime. It sure was the ultimate comfort food feast!
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Grilled Cheese With Kale Artichoke Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Cooking With Elise: Inside-Out Grilled Cheese With Bacon
Red or Green?: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Red or Green-Style
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Weelicious: Kentucky Hot Brown Panini
Virtually Homemade: Grilled Cheddar, Apple and Arugula Sandwich
The Sensitive Epicure: Individual Goat Cheese Mac & Cheese (Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free)
Devour: Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
Thursday Night Dinner: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
The Heritage Cook: Open Faced Grilled Halloumi Sandwiches
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Muhammara Grilled Cheese
Daily*Dishin: Grilled Jarlsberg and Black Forest Ham With a Surprise
FN Dish: Grilled Cheese Goes Beyond Cheese