What if I told you that I had a summer casserole recipe that was simple to prepare, took only 15 minutes to bake and was topped with fresh ingredients? Would you be intrigued?
Let the FN Dish SummerSoiree series begin!
I just love collaborating with other bloggers and the Food Network. I especially love sharing recipes with you.
This week bloggers like me are sharing our favorite recipes for #summercasseroles on the Food Network blog, the FN Dish.
When I was asked to share a summer casserole recipe, I knew exactly what I would make.
My guys and I love the smell and taste of this Mexican-Style lasagna. They enjoy the taste and I love how easy it is to prepare. In fact, I bet you have all the ingredients to make this or your version for your family’s dinner tonight!
Here are more sensational summer casserole recipes for you to try! Join the conversation by using the hashtag #SummerSoiree:
Weelicious: Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
The Heritage Cook: Summer Vegetable Gratin (Gluten-Free)
Taste With The Eyes: Colorful Vegetable Casserole with Fresh Herbs and Cured Black Olives
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Summer Eggplant, Squash and Tomato Casserole
Red or Green: Spicy Cauliflower and Peppers Casserole
Domesticate Me: Caprese Quinoa Bake
Devour: 5 Picnic Potluck Ideas
Poet in the Pantry: Zucchini and Summer Squash Gratin
The Sensitive Epicure: Zucchini Souffle (Gluten-Free)
Cooking With Elise: Mexican-Style Lasagna
FN Dish: Dig Into Easy Summer Casseroles
Here’s how easy it is to make this Mexican-Style Lasagna:
Easy Mexican-Style Lasagna
Simple to prepare, only 15 minutes to bake and topped with lots of fresh summer veggies, I bet you have all of the ingredients necessary to make this for you family tonight!
|SERVES 8 hungry people
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or desired heat
- 8 (8 or 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 3/4 pound sliced Colby Jack or a mild cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- dollop of sour cream
- a bit of shredded lettuce
- a sprinkling of chopped tomatoes
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add your beef and season it with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and red onion. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, hot sauce and black or pinto beans. Heat the mixture through then season with salt and black pepper.
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch shallow baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the tortillas in half to make layering your baking dish easier. Begin building your Mexican lasagna by placing two tortilla halves on the long sides of your baking pan and then two halves on the other. Use two halves on each end. Now continue layering with meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat one more time.
- Bake the lasagna in the middle of your oven uncovered for 15 minutes until your cheese is bubbly.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice into 8 large servings and top with the shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and chopped scallions.