- 5 Portuguese or Italian breads (a day old)
- 3 lbs. 73 or 75% ground beef
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons or a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika or more for coloring
- 2 tablespoons each salt, ground black pepper or white, garlic powder, onion powder and red crushed pepper (wet, much less if dry flakes)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup paprika
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
Soak bread in water, a few pieces at a time, and squeeze liquid out very well.
In large pan, cook remaining ingredients, except the bread, for 30 minutes stirring often. Take off heat. Add bread to pan and mix well with hands. Add eggs and lemon juice. Mix very well. Cook to sticky. When sticky (About 15 minutes) add paprika until color changes (orangey). Season with salt and white pepper. Spread in baking pan and bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. DELICIOUS!
TIP: These days it is difficult to find 73% ground beef and so I use 80% and it works just fine!