- 5 Portuguese or Italian breads (a day old)
- 3 lbs. 73 or 75% ground beef
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons or a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika or more for coloring
- 2 tablespoons each salt, ground black pepper or white, garlic powder, onion powder and red crushed pepper (wet, much less if dry flakes)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup paprika
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
A staple at each holiday meal or special family gathering, our family has been making this stuffing since I was a child. This is not like any stuffing you’ve ever had before. One of the reasons I love to make this stuffing is not only because it reminds me of my Vavo (my grandmother) and my mother, but because my son Nathaniel now assists me every time i make it. Nathaniel helps me by squeezing out the water and stirring the stuffing. We love to cook together and share our day’s events! It is always a wonderful feeling when you can make people feel good with your culinary creations, but to include your family in the preparation is always priceless!
Soak bread in water, a few pieces at a time, and squeeze liquid out very well.
In large pan, cook remaining ingredients, except the bread, for 30 minutes stirring often. Take off heat. Add bread to pan and mix well with hands. Add eggs and lemon juice. Mix very well. Cook to sticky. When sticky (About 15 minutes) add paprika until color changes (orangey). Season with salt and white pepper. Spread in baking pan and bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. DELICIOUS!
TIP: These days it is difficult to find 73% ground beef and so I use 80% and it works just fine!