- 1 large beef roast (bone in is best)
- 1 large bunch of kale, washed, stalks removed but kept for stock and greens chopped
- 1 pound of chourico (Portuguese smoked sausage)3 large white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Pimento Moida, fresh red crushed pepper, depending on your taste
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less your taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (your taste)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 cup small macaroni
This soup has always had a place at every holiday table.
Place roast, chourico and kale stalks in a large soup pan. Cover 3/4 of the way up with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat a bit and cook for one hour.
Carefully remove the roast and the chourico and cut into bite size pieces. Place pieces of meat and pork back in the soup pan.
At the last minute, add one cup of small macaroni and cook for five minutes.
Variation: Some folks like to add navy beans to this soup as well. You can either soak some beans overnight and add to the sop the last hour of cooking or use a can of beans and add at the very end.