- 1 cup apple cider vinegar,
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves, torn or crushed
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon finely chili garlic sauce
- 3/4 cup Sprite
- 2 lbs. pounds chicken pieces, fat removed (for this recipe we used thin slices of chicken breast and placed them on skewers that had been soaked)
The Olympic Games began this Friday. We were really excited about the opening ceremony. We made a decision to create an international menu and chose cuisine from the Philippines. Our line up for the evening was this very flavorful Inihaw na manok or Filipino barbecue chicken, Lumpia or Filipino spring rolls and Sinangag or garlic fried rice.
The marinade did not look very dark, but the addition of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar created a lovely brown color.
In a large container that can hold the chicken pieces, combine all ingredients except chicken. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours.
Remove chicken from marinade and grill until done. This was super, super flavorful and a wonderful addition to our Filipino meal.
From our hearts to yours,
Elise and family